- What is fear? Jason Nelson posted this and it spoke to me. "We often hide fear by calling it caution or concern. Diluting doesn't cancel its effect... Paralyzing obedience."
- I think we associate certain things with certain words. For example, the word 'sermon' is typically associated with preachers. Shouldn't it be associated with all of God's people? Shouldn't our very lives by the greatest sermons we ever 'preach,' showing God's power, grace and love through transparency, love and obedience to God?
- What does it mean to salt and light?
As salt, we are to serve as preservatives, stopping the moral decay of our sin-infected world and to, like salt, create a thirst for Christ. As light, we illuminate or make visible. Our lives are a constant witness to the reality of Christ's presence in our lives. Keep in mind, however, that it is not our light but a reflection of the lights of the world, Jesus Christ, in us.
I think a lot of people miss that last part. It's not us who created. Therefore, we cannot convict or judge people for theirs, especially since we ourselves were born in it. We follow Christ, led by the Holy Spirit, loving the people he came to save. Sinners like us. Sure, we will "know them by their fruits," (Matthew 7:16a) but "judge not and you will not be judged." (Matthew 7:1) *Remember to read the entire passage for context and further information and not just the verse that suits your point. That's not fair to God. Doing things like misquoting or abusing scripture are the very reason why it's so hard to bring unbelievers to God. They don't believe your sermon (your life) because they cannot see Jesus' light in you. *
Verse 3 says "Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? (v. 4) How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,' when you yourself don't see the log that is in your own eye? (v. 5) You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother's eye."
Humility plays such a big role in conflict resolution. STORYTIME!!
A friend and coworker came to me yesterday morning, asking for direction. She wanted guidance on how to confront a person in her church with an ongoing problem. She said, "I'm going to have to speak with this person about our conflict and I'm coming to you for pointers on what to say." So, I sat and listened. I didn't say anything. *Sometimes, it's good to just listen. Our friends and brother/sisters in Christ often need only our ear for a moment and that's okay.* I could tell that she was tense and frustrated. The great thing that I noticed and that I believe God is pleased with is her desire for resolve rather than winning an argument or pointing out the other person's flaws. The church needs unity to further God's kingdom, not finger pointing or cutting each other down. You cannot lift yourself up by cutting down someone else. (Matthew 23:12 "Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.") At a pause, I said "Go on, I'm listening," and I began to highlight key phrases in an article SHE'D given me about salt and light. When she was going back to her office, I handed her the article and said, "I'll be back in your office in a few minutes, but read this in the meantime."
When I got to her office, she said that the Holy Spirit had been dealing with her on a particular subject, guiding her to get better with it. She said she'd been working on it, thinking that she'd gotten the message already. I said, "Sometimes, God signals a point of growth for me by reminding me of it." You know, it may come up in conversation. Then, I see someone dealing with it on TV. Maybe, someone calls in to a local radio station to ask for advice. On. That. Subject. And I'm thinking, 'okay, God. I got it,' but God says, 'no, you don't, Princess. That's why I keep bringing it up.' And guess what happened next! After a moment, she heard the Holy Spirit reminded her of Jesus' warning to his people, "I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict..." She didn't need my help with figuring out what to say. She only needed to trust God and heed the Holy Spirit's guidance. She sought help from another growing follower, when it seems to me now that the Holy Spirit was increasing her number for a moment. *Sometimes, gathering helps us to focus on listening to God and not our own thoughts.* We went to God and he delivered. I believe that when you seek Godly resolution, the Holy Spirit will guide you.
4. Am I writer? I don't really know yet. But I do know that God more often than anything else, lately, moves me to write. The best part? It's for him! I was really down and feeling hopeless yesterday morning, looking at facebook. I was reading posts about recitals and weddings and performances at the white house, thinking, 'God, what do you have for me? I'm down here, muddling through this storm, watching everyone around me enjoy their lives and I'm... here.' And now, I'm thinking that God was probably thinking, 'Princess, we've been through this before, but here it is again. You're going through this [feeling abandoned and left behind, left out and thrown away, forgotten] so that when I bless you with my best, you'll remember me. And this isn't only for you. Think about the people you're helping as I fix your attitude and the ministry that I'm growing by the fire I placed in you. Consider the mentor I've sent to you. Haven't you spoken words of encouragement to her on my behalf? Haven't you blessed her with love I gave to you? And the relationships you asked me to mend? Can I do that, please? Don't worry. I've got you. I love you, Princess.' *I melt* My Father loves me and won't let me forget it. Not only that, he won't let even me stand in the way of his love and his best.
I didn't know why, but every time I felt sad or ashamed or guilty in recent months, the Holy Spirit led me to write and I forgot about my problem. My mentor delivered an amazing word to me today. She said, 'God has you here for a reason... If he could stand being mocked, beaten, and whipped, hanging, bleeding and dying for you... You can stand being where you are for a little bit longer.' I've heard Him whisper to me often, 'turn your eyes upon Jesus (like the hymn)... Concentrate on God. Focus on the solution, not the problem.'
He loves me.
Comments
Post a Comment