
One of the things I'm more and more grateful for lately is wise council. There are people around me who will sometimes give me constructive criticism, insight, and advice and I'm glad I'm at a point where I can cheerfully receive it. I'll admit, sometimes I still get a little annoyed, but I remember what Hillary Clinton said: Take criticism seriously, not personally.
Constructive criticism is something you'll face only if you do anything ever in life. Learn to use it to your advantage. For instance, there are times when I'm given constructive criticism from people that genuinely love me. When they do, I take it for what it is: constructive; not for what it isn't: destructive. Chances are, the people who are close enough (if you're minding who allow into your space. *hint* That's important.) to you to give criticism are giving it with good intentions. If they have ill intentions, take it as an opportunity to lift them up in prayer and model patience and grace for them. You'd be surprised who needs to be loved through their meanness/coldness/etc.
I realize that the 'hater' rhetoric is so popular right now, so I might as well touch on that for a beat. *cracks knuckles* I don't know where we got this idea that everybody around us is a shark, out to get us, but it isn't true. Chalk that up to a conspiracy against unity, guys. It's true that some people have bad intentions, but some of them are actually looking out for you. Never assume that every critic is a "hater." Not everyone is "hating" on you. Some people are looking out for you/telling you the truth/trying to help you.
We've been conditioned to believe that if anyone tells us something that doesn't correspond with what we want to do that they're wrong, hindering us, or hating. I'm telling you, guys. Sometimes, people really do just want to help and we get in our way when we don't give God a chance to speak to us through the faithful he gave us as elders, peers, teachers, mentors, etc.
I've learned that one of the signs that we're not hearing from God is refusing to listen. Where would you be if you gave everyone the cold shoulder when they tried to help you with advice, insight, or constructive criticism? Now, the operative word being 'constructive,' be open to criticism. *experience speaking* It could keep you from making tragic mistakes.
Comments
Post a Comment