Skip to main content

Why Wait?

I'll start a new diet in the new year.

I'll start reading the Bible.

I'll go to church every Sunday.

I'll start exercising.

     Have you ever asked yourself why we wait until the new year to make improvements to ourselves? What is it about January 1st that makes it more worthy of my efforts than December 4th?

     What is it about the top of the hour that makes more sense to begin studying or cooking? Why not 7:36?

     Sure, everything has its appropriate time. Super-saints stay seated, please.

     The other day, I thought to myself I've got to get back on track with eating healthy and exercising in the new year. The next thought was,  why wait? Thank you, Holy Spirit! I have the means and know-how to begin today, so why put it off?

     So often, in the church, we hear 'God's got 22 days to move/show up and show out/make it happen.' Whaaat? What if God's already moved or made things happen and you've been waiting until the new year to notice?

     Our society has a way of glorifying convenient living as if the world owes us time to get good and darn ready to get up and move. In my case, convenience of feeling like it has been glorified. Let's face it, I'll probably NEVER feel like running a mile. And that's fine. But why wait?

     What or who told us that we're bound by man-made constructs of time? Where would we be if our forefathers waited until they weren't quite so tired to run away, march, or teach?

     Tomorrow's not promised. We know that, right? What are you putting off?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Count Me Out

My mom said, "Your life is not over. It still has purpose. Don't give up."    I'm having a hard time believing that today. I'm feeling left behind and forgotten. A part of me feels like I'm back where I'm started. Introverted. Alone. No one knows me and so no one gives me a chance. A part of me wants to pursue what God has for me in spite of the people who have given up on me and talked about me and mocked me. But I'd be doing it for the wrong reason and I'd be no better than them. Focused on the wrong thing.     Man, this is painful. I know that God has me here for a reason and he's showing me every day, but I want bigger and better than this. God, what is it that I haven't learned yet? What do you want from me? Don't leave me here.  "In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried to my God: He heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears." Psalm 18:6    It's hard, bein...

Arrogance: A Lesson In Humility

1. Drop the "what can they/it do for me?" attitude.           Seriously, maybe Kennedy hit the mark on that one. We're so concerned about our own benefit that we sometimes forget about our calling: service. Our serving the community unto God may not always directly and/or immediately benefit us. But if our ultimate goal is to please God (and selfless service in His name according to His purpose DOES please the Father), our attitude should take a pretty sharp turn at salvation by grace through faith, family. Benefits me turns into benefits God and shows people His perfect love and plan for them. 2. What's so wrong with initiating dialogue or positive connections and reconciliation?      We're quick to say "be the bigger person" to children, but we hate leading by example. What will it hurt to be the bigger person in real life? What might suffer if you start the dialogue and call a truce or apologize first? Easy. Your pride. ...

I Wish I'd Met Christ Before I Met Christians: Part 2

Why Can't Anybody Tell Us Anything?             I hope that you've read and meditated a bit on last weeks' blog post, the first in this series, 'Why Can't We Get Along In The Church?' After reading, I hope you really gave some thought to the idea that everybody isn't out to get you and sometimes the changes our pastors preach need to take place within us aren't just for others. I hope you gathered that some of them are for us. Introspection is so important for us, as believers, because so much of the Bible tells us that things must be removed from within us for God to live there.       Perhaps I should've talked about this last week, but here goes. Read Psalm 51 , one of the psalms of repentance . It's pretty intense. David talks about confessing his sin to God and how the Father delights in the truth in our "inner being." (verse 6) Family, that comes from the cleansing David talks about in verse 7: " Purge me   M...