Skip to main content

Family Resemblance


I've always thought my mom was/is the most beautiful woman in the world. Like most young girls, I'd sit and watch her put on makeup and grin when she winked or made a silly face at me in the mirror. There was no Disney princess or celebrity prettier than the woman who gave me my smile.

That's why it always made me so happy to hear people say that I looked like her. You just like your mama, so pretty. That was always my favorite compliment to receive. Even if the person only said, You look just like your mama, it was still a compliment of the highest regard to my little ears and heart. I used to practice smiling like her in the mirror, only showing my top row of teeth and squinting my eyes just a bit. I wanted to get it right. 

When I got older, my fascination with her grew more mature, I guess, because I started trying to imitate other things about her. I decided that I liked her handwriting, so I practiced mine so our cursive i's and s's matched. I practiced my laugh to match hers and even tried to walk like her sometimes. When she and I walked into a room together and people said we looked like twins, it was all I could do to keep from melting right then. 

I spent so much time, as a child, trying to look like my mother (physically). When I got a little older, I imitated her and tried to pick up her mannerisms (that I didn't realize I already had). Now, I want her style and confidence. 

I've realized that as humans, we are sensitive to the people and things around us. Whether you accept it or not, you resemble someone, inside and/or out. Someone has shaped you into being the person you are in this very moment. It's important to be careful who you allow to shape you. You may or may not want to resemble some of the people around you. 

I'm at a point where I'm taking care of myself behind-the-scenes so that my outside is a fitting representation of The One I hope to resemble, Jesus the Christ. I want to walk into a room, smile, or speak and people to see Him when they see me. The greatest compliment I could receive now is 'Jordyn really has a heart after God,' or 'Jordyn has a heart for God's people.' 

I've seen my mom go from cancer patient to cancer survivor and now to cancer awareness advocate/activist/supporter. What better way to show God gratitude than to use what he used in her life to magnify Him in theirs? I hear her saying to people these days, It's by the grace of God that I made it through. What a testimony and what an example! This is the woman whose heart for God and His people I hope to resemble and make proud. 

If we were created in God's image, we ought to resemble Him. Do you? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Count Me Out

My mom said, "Your life is not over. It still has purpose. Don't give up."    I'm having a hard time believing that today. I'm feeling left behind and forgotten. A part of me feels like I'm back where I'm started. Introverted. Alone. No one knows me and so no one gives me a chance. A part of me wants to pursue what God has for me in spite of the people who have given up on me and talked about me and mocked me. But I'd be doing it for the wrong reason and I'd be no better than them. Focused on the wrong thing.     Man, this is painful. I know that God has me here for a reason and he's showing me every day, but I want bigger and better than this. God, what is it that I haven't learned yet? What do you want from me? Don't leave me here.  "In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried to my God: He heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears." Psalm 18:6    It's hard, bein...

Arrogance: A Lesson In Humility

1. Drop the "what can they/it do for me?" attitude.           Seriously, maybe Kennedy hit the mark on that one. We're so concerned about our own benefit that we sometimes forget about our calling: service. Our serving the community unto God may not always directly and/or immediately benefit us. But if our ultimate goal is to please God (and selfless service in His name according to His purpose DOES please the Father), our attitude should take a pretty sharp turn at salvation by grace through faith, family. Benefits me turns into benefits God and shows people His perfect love and plan for them. 2. What's so wrong with initiating dialogue or positive connections and reconciliation?      We're quick to say "be the bigger person" to children, but we hate leading by example. What will it hurt to be the bigger person in real life? What might suffer if you start the dialogue and call a truce or apologize first? Easy. Your pride. ...

I Wish I'd Met Christ Before I Met Christians: Part 2

Why Can't Anybody Tell Us Anything?             I hope that you've read and meditated a bit on last weeks' blog post, the first in this series, 'Why Can't We Get Along In The Church?' After reading, I hope you really gave some thought to the idea that everybody isn't out to get you and sometimes the changes our pastors preach need to take place within us aren't just for others. I hope you gathered that some of them are for us. Introspection is so important for us, as believers, because so much of the Bible tells us that things must be removed from within us for God to live there.       Perhaps I should've talked about this last week, but here goes. Read Psalm 51 , one of the psalms of repentance . It's pretty intense. David talks about confessing his sin to God and how the Father delights in the truth in our "inner being." (verse 6) Family, that comes from the cleansing David talks about in verse 7: " Purge me   M...