It's my fault entirely, I know, but I'm back!
Have you ever felt like a new person after riding a wave of weird and calm? I don't know how those two go together, but *hand raised*. So much has happened! If you've read anything by me, you already know you might have to schedule reading time for this entry. Lol. I'm a bit long-winded with writing. In person, not so much. I don't know how to paraphrase. I just want to get it all out, I guess. I like my writing the same way I like my music: thorough. And I don't mind if it's long because I'm covering all the bases... or something.
In semi-random order:
I wrote a song called, 'Try.' It's about how people always say that they'll try instead of just doing it (whatever 'it' might be). I'm learning that most things in this life are easier said than done, but they're also better done than said. What would we be if our parents had only attempted to feed us? What if millions had only attempted to organize for civil rights? And if God had only attempted to create man? And woman from him? What about Jesus' death and resurrection? His ultimate sacrifice gives our lives meaning and purpose. Maybe, an attempt would be noted and mentioned in history, but maybe not celebrated as we do his honorable and amazing love in dying and living again.
I hear people saying, 'I'll try to remember this or that,' or 'I'll try to follow the rules,' or 'I'll try to support you and your latest endeavor,' but what kind of fruit (if any) comes from 'trying' to plant a seed? Consider the things you've tried to do. Now, think about the things you've succeeded in doing. If you were to make a time-column list with column A as 'tried' and column B as 'succeeded' would they be in order or make sense according to what should and should not be a priority? Where do things like going to parties fall? Or going to bible study? What about swearing/cursing? Praying/studying the bible? Look at your list. What things are most important to you and where are they on your list or in your heart?
"AND LET US CONSIDER ONE ANOTHER IN ORDER TO STIR UP LOVE AND GOOD WORKS, NOT FORSAKING THE ASSEMBLING OF OURSELVES TOGETHER, AS IS THE MANNER OF SOME, BUT EXHORTING ONE ANOTHER, AND SO MUCH THE MORE AS YOU SEE THE DAY APPROACHING." Hebrews 20:24-25
I was quickly growing annoyed and frustrated with my ... (just want to protect the identity and dignity of the group). I felt myself detaching and I'm at a point where I just don't wanna do anything that might separate me from God. *Introverted. Only-child. Shy. DIY-extraordinaire.* I asked two other leaders to meet me after program. How amazing is God. How great are friends who love and trust God. I sent a text to each of them during program, asking them to meet me afterward. Neither of them asked why, nor did they complain about time or anything else. They both said yes. We went into the conference room and I poured out my heart. I told them that I was frustrated and didn't want to 'grow weary.' "Guys, I need your help." They said, 'you're not alone,' and 'we've got your back.' We talked and prayed and cried and I felt so much lighter. I also got some very sound advice: let your frustrations about wrongdoing drive you; you're passion for people does not go unnoticed by God.
It's the Little Things
1 Kings 17:12 12 And she said, “As the Lord your God lives, I have nothing baked, only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. And now I am gathering a couple of sticks that I may go in and prepare it for myself and my son, that we may eat it and die.”
1 Kings 18:44 44 And at the seventh time he said, “Behold, a little cloud like a man's hand is rising from the sea.” And he said, “Go up, say to Ahab, ‘Prepare your chariot and go down, lest the rain stop you.’”
We often speak about things like betrayal, abandonment, murder and adultery. But what of the things that we take for granted? What of the small, seemingly insignificant, but invaluable practical lessons that feed our souls from day to day (as we live)? I had a great conversation with a relative about recent shark attacks in waist-deep water. I asked, 'how could you not see a SHARK headed in your direction?' And she said, "That'll preach!" *Y'all know how we do.* 'How dirty is the area around you that you can't see attacks before they get to you? Where is your focus? Why aren't you prepared?' My mentor said something to me the other day struck me and really made me think. She said, 'the enemy doesn't need to dump a whole mess into our 'pool.' He can get by with small spoonfuls at a time and before we know it, we're stuck in a tidal wave of confusion, sin and danger.
The big things the Bible warns us about are so important. Recognize the significance of the smaller things as well. Think about it. It's the little things that generally face from day to day. Things like gossiping, backbiting, surrendering to anxiety and self-pity, not reading your bible and praying, being cold and mean or uninviting, not taking care of our health, not taking care of our gifts, not respecting each other can get us in big trouble spiritually. These are the things that we take for granted. We let these spoonfuls slide, but they eventually add up to tons of murky water that is hard to wade in or get out of. Watch yourself, cover yourself and be mindful of the things that could lead to other things that won't help you.
MATTHEW 26:41 "WATCH AND PRAY THAT YOU MAY NOT ENTER INTO TEMPTATION. THE SPIRIT INDEED IS WILLING, BUT THE FLESH IS WEAK."
WATCH. One of my favorite hymns is "Turn your Eyes Upon Jesus." (Try Jadon Lavik's version. :)) "Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in his wonderful face. And the things of Earth will go strangely dim in the light of his glory and grace." Just a thought...
What does it mean to "watch?" Most definitions have something to do with being alert. So, then, does it mean to stay wide awake? We are spiritual beings here in the flesh so we have to turn to God for strength. Many times, Jesus retreated for strength and guidance from God. And he set a great example. One thing I've learned from my significant other and our bestie couple (I love them!) is that it's okay to need help and ask for it. I think an admission of weakness and willingness to seek help shows great spiritual maturity. *Bear in mind that to 'watch' in our faith is not a spectator's sport. We are to be vigilant and alert, watching in preparation and expectation and anticipation for attacks that may come and our Lord who will return for us.* Think about it. How many times does the Bible tell us to seek God for strength among other things? Our "flesh is weak," but He has made provision for our weaknesses. I read somewhere, "It is spiritual watching coupled with prayer that gives one the strength to survive temptations and difficult situations."
1 Corinthians 7:35 "I am saying this for your benefit, not to place restrictions on you. I want to do whatever will help you serve the Lord best, with as few distractions as possible."
What distracts you from God's plans, His course for your life? Worrying really does it for me. I get so frustrated and focused on being frustrated that I forget my purpose [which cannot be fulfilled with worry since it requires faith]. I can't hear God's voice or feel his love or grace when I worry. As a result, my relationships with him and everyone else suffer and I'm ineffective in righteous purpose. I know this because unrighteous thoughts rise. I'm pursued by people and activities that speak to my flesh, but don't feed my soul. How long can a soul survive without food? How long can you sacrifice your relationship with God for things of this world? How long will it suffer before you face him? Don't you miss him? Those were questions the Holy Spirit asked me. And I had to answer. I'd rather answer now and down here than to have to answer in front of his face.
Often we confuse busyness with productivity and they aren't the same thing. A person can achieve music, but never mature spiritually. A seed might be planted in good soil, but if you don't water it and feed it and nurture it, it will not bear fruit. And at the root, God is not first. He wants us to prosper and enjoy great successes. "Seek ye first..." Do not become distracted by the things of this world or pursuit of them. They cannot make you whole. They lack the spiritual substance to complete you; you, created by an awesome spiritual God. We spend so much time and effort trying to make a name for ourselves that we forget to make a home for ourselves.
God has gifted us with great pleasures and they are a good thing. But don't pursue with too much haste, left you forget to pursue God first and watch him bless you beyond the capacity to which you imagined with doing it on your own.
1 Kings 19:12 12 And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper.
I've been away, but I've learned these things:
Put God first in your life and watch him work.
Little things matter/count.
Some things are better done than said.
Love y'all!
The big things the Bible warns us about are so important. Recognize the significance of the smaller things as well. Think about it. It's the little things that generally face from day to day. Things like gossiping, backbiting, surrendering to anxiety and self-pity, not reading your bible and praying, being cold and mean or uninviting, not taking care of our health, not taking care of our gifts, not respecting each other can get us in big trouble spiritually. These are the things that we take for granted. We let these spoonfuls slide, but they eventually add up to tons of murky water that is hard to wade in or get out of. Watch yourself, cover yourself and be mindful of the things that could lead to other things that won't help you.
MATTHEW 26:41 "WATCH AND PRAY THAT YOU MAY NOT ENTER INTO TEMPTATION. THE SPIRIT INDEED IS WILLING, BUT THE FLESH IS WEAK."
WATCH. One of my favorite hymns is "Turn your Eyes Upon Jesus." (Try Jadon Lavik's version. :)) "Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in his wonderful face. And the things of Earth will go strangely dim in the light of his glory and grace." Just a thought...
What does it mean to "watch?" Most definitions have something to do with being alert. So, then, does it mean to stay wide awake? We are spiritual beings here in the flesh so we have to turn to God for strength. Many times, Jesus retreated for strength and guidance from God. And he set a great example. One thing I've learned from my significant other and our bestie couple (I love them!) is that it's okay to need help and ask for it. I think an admission of weakness and willingness to seek help shows great spiritual maturity. *Bear in mind that to 'watch' in our faith is not a spectator's sport. We are to be vigilant and alert, watching in preparation and expectation and anticipation for attacks that may come and our Lord who will return for us.* Think about it. How many times does the Bible tell us to seek God for strength among other things? Our "flesh is weak," but He has made provision for our weaknesses. I read somewhere, "It is spiritual watching coupled with prayer that gives one the strength to survive temptations and difficult situations."
1 Corinthians 7:35 "I am saying this for your benefit, not to place restrictions on you. I want to do whatever will help you serve the Lord best, with as few distractions as possible."
What distracts you from God's plans, His course for your life? Worrying really does it for me. I get so frustrated and focused on being frustrated that I forget my purpose [which cannot be fulfilled with worry since it requires faith]. I can't hear God's voice or feel his love or grace when I worry. As a result, my relationships with him and everyone else suffer and I'm ineffective in righteous purpose. I know this because unrighteous thoughts rise. I'm pursued by people and activities that speak to my flesh, but don't feed my soul. How long can a soul survive without food? How long can you sacrifice your relationship with God for things of this world? How long will it suffer before you face him? Don't you miss him? Those were questions the Holy Spirit asked me. And I had to answer. I'd rather answer now and down here than to have to answer in front of his face.
Often we confuse busyness with productivity and they aren't the same thing. A person can achieve music, but never mature spiritually. A seed might be planted in good soil, but if you don't water it and feed it and nurture it, it will not bear fruit. And at the root, God is not first. He wants us to prosper and enjoy great successes. "Seek ye first..." Do not become distracted by the things of this world or pursuit of them. They cannot make you whole. They lack the spiritual substance to complete you; you, created by an awesome spiritual God. We spend so much time and effort trying to make a name for ourselves that we forget to make a home for ourselves.
God has gifted us with great pleasures and they are a good thing. But don't pursue with too much haste, left you forget to pursue God first and watch him bless you beyond the capacity to which you imagined with doing it on your own.
1 Kings 19:12 12 And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper.
I've been away, but I've learned these things:
Put God first in your life and watch him work.
Little things matter/count.
Some things are better done than said.
Love y'all!
Comments
Post a Comment